Hi ladies and gents!
I am going to pop down a few dietary recommendations to support brain health and memory.
As we age, our ability to remember things does reduce and we need to work hard to keep our brains active and healthy. Activities such as reading regularly, playing crosswords and also board games with the family, can assist in keeping our brains active and well.
Here we go…
- Eat fruits and vegetables daily particularly those containing vitamin B-3 needed for synthesis of fatty acids and oxidation reduction (reducing free radical damage to the brain), b-6 needed for production of neurotransmitters, b-9 for support of amino acid production (precursors for neurotransmitter release). Foods (vegetables) that contain these B vitamins include: mushrooms, sweet potato, leafy greens including spinach, broccoli and kale.
- Consume high amounts of omega 3 fatty acids found in salmon, walnuts and other fish which is needed for normal brain development.
- Consume high antioxidant fruits such as berries and cherries which contain anthocyanin (flavonoid), needed to reduce further damage to brain tissue caused by free radicals. These fruits also contain high amounts of Vitamin C and E which are great for supporting the immune system.
- Vitamin A, folate and iron are helpful for cognition, found in pumpkin, asparagus and tomatoes, carrot and beets.
- Spices cinnamon, sage, turmeric and cumin are beneficial in helping the brain break up plaque formation
- In addition to the above dietary recommendations, you will want to reduce the brain damaging diseases such as diabetes obesity and high blood pressure which all put strain on our immunity, cardiovascular function and nervous system function.
Thanks for reading! Have a great day
COACH EM x
EMpower Fitness and Nutrition