Nutritional Tips for preventing kidney stones
- Ensure great hydration with a minimum of 2-3L per day of preferably filtered water
- Ensure adequate intake of dietary fibre found in fruits and vegetables, flaxseeds, walnuts, oats, onions, garlic, asparagus, chia seeds, oats
- Reduce/remove consumption of alcohol and other drinks such as soft drinks
- Moderate animal protein intake and ensure abundant amounts of vegetables
- Avoid high sugar foods and refined carbohydrates
- Reduce stress. Participate in yoga, mediation, regular walking.
- Increase intake of green leafy vegetables
- If stones are ‘oxalate’ reducing high oxalate foods is beneficial (Chocolate, spinach, parsley, cranberries, nuts).
- Magnesium rich foods may be beneficial, leafy greens nuts and seeds.
- Participate in regular exercise
- Ensure sound sleep a minimum of 7-8 hours per night
- Drink plenty of water to support removal of unwanted wastes and reduce incidence of kidney stone formation
- Reduce obesity by removing processed sugars and refined carbohydrates from the diet
- Remove High sugar beverages such as soft drinks and alcohol
EMpower Fitness and Nutrition
Murray, M.T., Pizzorno, J.E. (Eds.) (2013). Renal Calculi, Nephrolithiasis In: Textbook of Natural Medicine (4th ed). St Louis, Missouri: Elsevier, pp. 1564 – 1573.